Post graduate


If you have completed the study in Canada from a Designated Learning Institute may be eligible for Post- Graduation Work Permit if the DLI is in the PGWP eligible list. Graduate from a DLI does not automatically make you eligible for a PGWP. It is important that if you choose a program, you must check the college/University program allows PGWP after you graduate. You have 180 days to apply for PGWP after you get your final marks.


An open work permits is issued to a graduate who meets the following eligibility criteria:

Student have studied in Canada on a full-time continuous basis in a program that was a minimum of eight months (two semesters) in duration.
• You are 18 years of age or older when you make your application for the work permit.
• At the time of application student have a valid Study Permit.
• If in Quebec, student must have graduated from a public post-secondary institution, private post- secondary institution, private secondary or post-secondary institution which offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or more leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP);
• After receiving confirmation that you have completed the program, you can apply for the post- graduation work permit (PGWP) within 90 days.

The post-graduation work permit (PGWP) duration always based upon the duration of completed educational program. If the program was less than 8 months in duration, then student will not be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). If your program was between 8 months and less than 2 years in duration, then your permit will be issued for the same duration as your length of studies. If your program was 2 years or longer in duration, then your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) will be issued for up to three years in duration.

Note: It is important to keep in mind that if a student have previously been issued with a post-graduation work
permit (PGWP) for a previously completed program, then they cannot apply for a second post-graduation work
permit (PGWP) even if the student have completed a new educational program.